Farewell Finn
We laid our precious boy Finn to rest this afternoon. We don't know what caused his decline, but he was losing weight throughout the spring and looked unthrifty. He went almost totally off feed about three weeks ago and just faded away. Three vets couldn't find anything wrong with him and unfortunately we weren't able to do a full necropsy. It's possible he developed abomasal ulcers but we'll never know. He lost his position in the herd last fall and it never set well with him. He became rather depressed and distant from the other goats and he became slowly less active and eventually less interested in food as time went on. Blood and urine analysis showed nothing remarkable, chest x-rays revealed no tumors, and there were no problems in the lower digestive tract. Unfortunately we were not able to get a necropsy of the stomachs, so if it was ulcers we'll never know. We're just devastated that he died this way. At 10 years old, he was simply too young. He was so strong just last fall, and he carried the lion's share of our gear in Utah. He was such a splendidly beautiful goat, and so sweet and gentle with everybody. There are no words to describe how much we're going to miss him. He spent a lot of the last few days with his head in me or Phil's lap. He loved snuggling and I'm going to miss his bright, eager expression. He was always the first to come up for treats or loves, and he firmly believed that every visitor to our property came here just to see him personally. I never worried that he was going to smack a kid or poke somebody with his magnificent, branching horns. Finn was always a gentleman. I don't believe there will ever be another to equal him. He was one-of-a-kind. A true G.O.A.T.     

Messages In This Thread
Farewell Finn - by Nanno - 07-13-2024, 05:23 PM
RE: Farewell Finn - by Taffy - 07-13-2024, 09:04 PM
RE: Farewell Finn - by Missy - 07-14-2024, 02:06 PM
RE: Farewell Finn - by Nanno - 07-14-2024, 06:43 PM
RE: Farewell Finn - by dragonmaker - 07-16-2024, 10:25 AM
RE: Farewell Finn - by Saph - 07-21-2024, 07:04 AM
RE: Farewell Finn - by Nanno - 07-21-2024, 05:12 PM